Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Treadmill....sigh...

The treadmill and I have a LOT of work to do if we are going to continue this relationship.

A couple of weeks ago, The Mick laid out two step boards from the step aerobics class and raised them up by 3 blocks. He asked me to stand in the middle of them, jump up with each foot landing on each step, then jump down. I did 15 like he asked, and my lungs were on FIRE!!! When he asked what was wrong, I told him, he said, "Oh, well, you're not in shape." UH...DUH! WHY DO YOU THINK I'M HERE?!?!? (And I mean that in the most loving sarcastic voice I can come up with.)

We stopped the step thing, and he showed me a treadmill exercise that is supposed to help with stamina, endurance, and "get me in shape." At a 1.5 incline, start at a 3.0 speed for 1 minute, raise the speed by .5 for a minute each time, until I reach 6.0. Then repeat 6 times. Now, I knew I wouldn't be able to do up to 6.0 at first, but what actually happened has tarnished my relationship with the treadmill...bum, bum, bum...

First time:
Did 3 reps up to 5.0. Did more than I thought I was going to be able to do. Not bad.

Second time (two days later):
Did 2 reps up to 5.5. DYING at the end of 2 reps. My heart rate was 170ish, and I could only get it to come down to about 155, even after 30 minutes of SLOW biking on the sit-down stationary bike. Then, I was sick the whole weekend. I slept, and slept, and slept. This was last week, and I decided not to take on the treadmill this week, until yesterday.

Third time (yesterday, which was 8 dyas later):
Did 6 reps up to 4.5. Ok, so I can do the 6 reps. I feel sore today, but rightfully so. I watched the heart rate the whole time, and rode the bike SLOWLY afterward for 30 minutes. Seems to be the right amount for now.

What the treadmill doesn't know is that I'm going to kick it's tiny little monkey butt! I don't take kindly to machines that make me sick for a whole weekend!! This is what I call relationship building :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment