Friday, March 25, 2011

Operation: Food Watch

As much as I want to think I can "eyeball" what 1600 calories per day looks like, I can not. While I am eating less than I used to (this time last year), it's not good enough to lose weight yet. I haven't been tracking my calories like I could be since I started working out at the gym. Not for any reason in particular, just haven't been. And, as a result, I haven't lost any weight...haven't gained any either...but I still need to lose about 30 pounds.

I talked about this with The Mick this week. He agreed that something didn't seem right, because he thinks I "work hard" at the gym. I told him I had talked with the dietician I work with, who advised a 1600 calorie diet to lose weight. As I was telling him what I ate, I realized it could be the amount. He confirmed that I can only get so much done at the gym, and the rest of it was my responsibility to monitor what I take in. He suggested coming to the gym everyday and burn at least 500 calories on the treadmill. Since I'm still working on my body handling 5 times a week, I'll work on his suggestion, but not now. Can't do it.

I went back and tracked the past week, and realized I was right...it's not what I'm eating that's the problem, it's how much. And, I am thinking we go out to eat enough, that it probably counters what I may be doing at home enough, to keep me at the same weight. Admittedly (is that a word), I have started eazing up on watching what I eat when we go out. Part of it is because I get tired of thinking about it all the time = every time I get hungry. Again, admittedly, I have been mad at how hard the gym is, mad at how hard it is to watch what I eat, and have been having "give up" moments more frequently than necessary.

In thinking this through, we go out to eat at least 6 times a week, and usually 1 or 2 more times. With there being 21 meals per week, 1/3 of them spent eating out, I can see where that could be a contributing factor if I'm not watching what I'm eating. And, there aren't any decently healthy restaurants around here. All of them pretty tasty, however not healthy.

Also, The Mick got on to Kevin about his gut. I'm glad he did, because although I have mentioned it a couple of times, he seems to have listened to The Mick. Now, going out to eat may be a mutual decision, instead of me feeling guilty for making Kevin cater to what I'm trying to do. He has been very accomodating at home, and eats anything I make. He even likes most of what I make from the AHA cookbook. I don't know why I feel guilty about eating out, oh well.

So, back to major meal planning. Oh boy, can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment