Friday, March 18, 2011

Food Used To Be For Entertainment

I was remembering with Kevin this week when food used to be entertaining. Now, it's just functional. What prompted all this was realizing that I am going to be sore for the next millennium. I think my exact words were, "It didn't hurt to get fat. It hurts to be healthy. Remind me why this is the better option."

I guess I hit a mental milestone this week with food consumption. It is National Social Work month, and more specifically, it was National Social Work day this past Wednesday. It was also one of my coworker's birthdays, so the clinic had food catered in to celebrate for both of us. He is from Africa, and only eats fish, vegetables and rice. He's always commenting on how Americans eat too much at a time, and what we do eat is just crap. I, of course, am trying to keep my cholestrol down and become healthier in general.

They all know our eating habits. Did they ask us what we wanted to eat? No. So, what did they cater in? Mexican food. Not fajitas, that could have been made into some sort of salad...cheese enchiladas, sour cream chicken enchiladas, fried burritos topped with queso that had ground beef in it, quesadillas, refried beans, rice, lettuce (don't know why that was there), chips and salsa. Instead of what I normally do, which is think "oh well, it's a party for me (food for entertainment), it'll be a cheat day", I got mad. I thought, "I can't eat any of this crap!" I asked my coworker what he was going to do, and he decided to eat it. For some reason, I just couldn't. I hurt all the time from my workouts. I make what are hard decisions for me everyday to eat the right thing, and I was not going to blow it on this stupid meal. I joined the party, just smiled and thanked them for the thought. When it was over, I walked two blocks to Baylor hospital's cafeteria (which is surprisingly good) and got a veggie plate. My coworker complained of a stomach ache the rest of the day. I just complained, to Kevin and a few others, about how crazy the whole thing was. I was disappointed that they were insensitive to my eating habits that they were aware of, and mad all over again that I have to make these lifestyle changes. Cest la vive!

I have conquered the treadmill, so I'll be knocking that out later today. Baby steps :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment