Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Off The Wagon?

I tell you what, I have this nagging habit of stress eating. I am being challenged by this bad habit, and have been for the past couple of weeks. There is A LOT going on at work. Patients with cancer and end of life denial, boyfriends throwing computers at one of them in a rage, many patients losing insurance due to lack of funding from the agency that pays the premiums, etc. My job is to be in the middle and calm fears, provide tools, and deliver bad news in a way that is understandalbe and reasonalbe. It's a tough time to be a Social Worker anyway, because of the economy and all the agencies that lose their funding, not being able to assist patients like they have in the past. Delivering bad news to several people daily is taxing. Hearing bad news from several other people daily is also taxing. Combine the two, and stuffed shells with meatballs in a thick red sauce sounds fine and dandy!

So, what I'm used to doing is snacking on something cruchy while I figure out how I'm going to tell patients all this bad news. Sure, there's dry popcorn, or celery, or raw bell pepper, but do I have that with me right now...NO. I didn't plan on having the crunch attack that precedes intelligence today. Something to think about though. The economy isn't getting any better. I should have crunch attack snacks on hand all the time now, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment