Sunday, July 11, 2010

Epiphany #1

During my bike ride last night I was thinking about how much my dad does to stay healthy. He's a vegan who literally runs 5 miles a day. He's around 5'10" or 5'11" and only weighs 145ish (he has a particular weight around 145 that he works hard to stay around). All this he does, and he still has all these cardiac issues. So, my epiphany was that what if, because of my genetic makeup, some sort of cardiac trouble is inevitable. What if there is no way to prevent this because it's genetic, and it is what it is? Well, that certainly sucks.

I remember back when I had knee surgery, I was told by one of my physical therapists that the more I do today, the more I'll be able to do tomorrow. So, I combined that concept to what I am doing to get in shape, with the epiphany. Perhaps the more I do today to get in shape and eat right, the better I'll be able to recover from whatever my genes have in store for me. I've seen it before when I worked on the PM&R floor at Hermann. Those that were in better shape, recovered much faster than those that were not.

Obviously, I'd rather not have any kind of heart surgery, tests (especially that one where they stick the needle up your leg to get to your arteries...creepy!!), whatever. But, if I must, I should be ready to recover for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment