Sunday, February 13, 2011

Overcoming My Obstacles - As seen by Lisa Moore

Disclaimer: This is more of a introspective post, so if you're just interested in the funny stuff, which there is much of later, pass this post by.

Lisa Moore is a friend from church, who also goes the same gym and has worked out with The Mick. She calls him something else I can't remember, but it has to do with the pain he inflicts. Anyway, she and I had a little chat today about all this working out stuff, and pointed out a few things.

1. Working out has helped me start overcoming "bipolar week." I didn't think about it at the time. What I was thinking about was how I didn't want to hear about it from The Mick when I didn't show up for a work out. Making it to the gym twice during bipolar week, and not "hibernating" (her word) is the start of overcoming that obstacle. I disagreed with her at first, because I was so angry when I was at the gym. I didn't feel like it was doing me any good at the time. Looking back on it, I did get out of the house instead of sleeping a LOT like usual. Baby steps! It's been 16 years of doing the same thing, which is trying to hide, during bipolar week, and just eat and sleep it away. It was when she used the word "hibernating" that it struck me, that my way of dealing with it may not have always been the most productive. So...looky there...I'm doing something productive.

2. I am a cancer survivor. The anniversary of being cancer free is the positive side of bipolar week. My overeating started right after I finished my chemo treatments. I wanted so badly to not look sick anymore that I ate and ate and ate to try to look normal again. I went overboard. I still have trouble, to this day, not thinking like that. I don't want to be thin, because I might look like I'm sick = not normal. The first obstacle to overcome here is that I have a second chance at life, and if I keep eating whatever, whenever, I will not have rightfully respected the chance given to me. Eating healthy will not make me look sick. Tell that to my heart. Obstacle two: You know, my mom and dad ate/eat healthy. Their physical problems abounded/abounds. I have LOTS of mixed thoughts and feelings about eating the right thing.

Lisa and I didn't discuss all that, but that's where my thoughts went after I blurted out that as a cancer survivor I need to take better care of myself.

3. I usually have about a 6 week run at the gym, where I go regularly. Then, about the 6th week, I'm tired of hurting ALL THE TIME, and quit going. I'm in week 8 this week. Overcoming that obstacle is crazy, because I hurt ALL THE TIME, and just want a break! So...looky there...something else productive!

4. Curbing hunger right after workouts...drink green tea. That's what she says works for her anyway. I tried it tonight, and it worked long enough for me to make dinner (which was healthy), and not eat chips or something that's just filler.

5. Put sweets in the freezer. I made peanut butter chocolate chip brownies for small groups, and there is half a pan left over. I put it in the freezer, and will take them out when I take them to work. Not a bad idea...out of sight, out of mind (hopefully).

That's all for introspection with Lisa. Lots of thinking today.

2 comments:

  1. And in the internal changes, you will see even more external changes. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I get to know what is on your heart the more I just love you! I thought you were an amazing woman of faith before, but I love getting to know you deeper. Thanks for sharing! On a different note, I just read Bethenny Fankel's book and tried her recipe for "healthy" cookies, I thought they were pretty good. I will share it with you if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete