Monday, May 23, 2011

Bike Ride 2011

What an adventure! From foggy Oklahoma, to rainy Weatherford, to nice breezes, to heat exhaustion. I met new friends, saw some crazy critters, and saw some crazy people. I experienced the whole gammut of everthing!

Here's how it went down:

I started in Tulsa. I met up with Leedy, and we caravaned down to Weatherford. We passed through OK City (below), and thought of the Mavs (they are up 2-1 in the Western Finals).


It was a foggy ride down


We stopped for some grub, and I captured Leedy talking to Diane


We arrived safe and sound. Did some last minute shopping at Walmart (yes, I had to go back...boo!) And, although I took some late night pics of Cre doing homework, Leedy and Diane getting ready for bed, etc., I promised not to post those pics. I just have them for fodder later in life...mwahahahaha!

The next morning we are ready to go...woohoo!


Farfalle Viola is ready for action


At our first rest stop, Diane revealed that she has a membership to the NRA and has guns and such. The "such" on this trip being a taser. It appears she is practicing her skills on Cre!! Interestingly, there was this guy, later on the ride, that was questionable. He hid his face from Diane and Leedy as they passed by. Glad Diane was prepared for action! Nothing happened, but you can never be too careful, ya know!


Here's blurry me at the first rest stop.


We have made it 10.5 miles! WooHoo!!


You learn so much about people on bike rides. First, Diane is an NRA member. Second, some of us know how to appreciate college football...


...and others still have a LOT to learn!


We came to the point in the ride where last year it was closed due to flooding. The trail had been washed out, with a 5' x 4' hole in it somewhere, and we were diverted on this crazy route. This year...


...it was open, and I was on unchartered territory with 6 miles left until we hit the opposite trailhead.

We took a rest stop on the bridge over HWY 180.


And...WE MADE IT!! 20 miles completed!!




OOPS!! Someone forgot to read the sign before her potty break!!!


LUNCH BREAK!! FOOOOOOD!




Ok, so notice how red my face is? This is when the humble pie was in the oven, and I wasn't ready to eat it yet. I was already feeling weak and a bit nauseous. I thought eating something (slowly) and cooling off with ice water would fix it all.

In the meantime, there was this guy riding around on his motorcycle wearing a cowboy hat, no shirt, jeans, and an American flag draped around him like a cape. He would hoot and holler as he drove by. And yes, we hooted and hollered back :-) We were told he does this quite often, and he has a different flag each time. Sometimes Mexican, sometimes other stuff. Here's a small pic of him turning around in the parking lot across the street from Sonic.


Then, it was time to head back. Humble pie was ready, however I still wasn't ready to eat it. By the grace and mercy of God, I made it 10 more miles. I was VERY overheated. My muscles were cramping, my stamina kaput, my body exhausted. I couldn't have been more disappointed. This trail was easy last year. I am in better shape this year. I had been drinking water (4 liters and a Route 44 to be exact). I just don't understand what happened, other than it was in the mid 90s, not a cloud in the sky, and being the delicate china doll that I am, just couldn't handle the heat.

Here's where it ended...open wide, insert humble pie!


Cre stayed with me, while Diane and Leedy went the last 10 miles to go get the cars and come get us. Cre went to the convenience store across the street and secured us some Gatorade, peanut butter crackers and more water.

Technically, I made it from trailhead to trailhead and back to the original trailhead...the last 10 on 4 wheels instead of 2. Technically :-) I also learned quickly that I did not do the best in applying the sunscreen...good grief!

Not burned anywhere else but the back of the arms. Little splotches in places, but not like those arms. WOW, where was my head when I was putting on the Coppertone?!?!!

So, I rode 30 miles this year. It was quite the experience this time around to say the least. We're gonna push it up into April next year, so we know it will be cooler. Gotta just keep going, ya know?!

I leave you with all the critters and cactus we saw on our trip. The scorpion was actually in the hotel lobby before we left...eeek! The rest were on the trail.







The ducks and chasing chickens were outside a house we passed. CHASING CHICKENS!!!

P.S. I just found out the high was 96 on Saturday! That could have had something to do with it!

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome! What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome ride! Congrats to you all for making it happen!!!

    ReplyDelete