Friday, November 11, 2011

Baggage Claim #17 - Where he started the IV

If you are ever in the Denver airport and pass by baggage claim #17, know that is the spot insanity began. From the elderly woman who sat on my belongings, to the airport EMS starting my IV, to being rolled out on a stretcher, baggage claim #17 will always hold a special place in my heart...or stomach, as it were. My stomach attacked me with intent to paralyze. I don't take too kindly to organs not cooperating in normal fashion, so I signaled the call for help (a call to my husband who called airport EMS). Did you know airport EMS dudes can start IVs in the baggage claim area??

I've never been in a ambulance before. It was just like on tv. I asked the guy if the lights were on, and sadly no, I wasn't a "true" emergency. While I think that was probably a great thing, who doesn't want to ride with the lights on?? When I got to the ER...JUST LIKE ER!! Docs and nurses were standing in a line waiting to talk to me as they wheeled me in. JUST LIKE ER!!!!

After ALL the questions, and ALL the tests, and ALL the student docs that teemed around my ultrasound gasping out, "WHAT IS THAT?" (I did laugh at her out loud, which caused the erruption of laughter by the teeming student docs. Who says that in front of the patient?? SERIOUSLY??) I seem to have reason to believe I have "pre-ulcer symptoms" (quote by MY doc here at home). The answer to WHAT IS THAT...it was my gall bladder...that was normal! Someone didn't read their homework!!!

I'm now on a liquid diet, on Nexium, and playing the waiting game. I call in a report to my doc each morning on how I'm doing. He thinks this should take about a month to resolve. Party on, Wayne!

I still can't get over that he started my IV in baggage claim!!

No comments:

Post a Comment