Friday, April 22, 2011

Foot Long Corn Dogs and Fried Pickles!!!

Man, have I been busy!! I decided 7 weeks ago that I would have a booth at a vendor show called Antique Alley. Birchfield Baking Co. is officially on the books, and in action. Antique Alley is an antique show (obviously) that goes 25 miles from Cleburne to Grandview on Hwy 4. People set up their tents on the road, and shoppers are backed up for miles and miles trying to find a bargain on what looks like mostly junk to me. There is a spot just outside of Cleburne called Whipp Farm. This is an area where 20-30 thousand people come through in one weekend. Enter me! I rented tent space in the food area and sold cookies, brownies, various candies and spiced nuts. It was quite a production, and now I'm pooped, but thrilled it worked out so well. We plan to do it again in September.

One MAJOR education I had was food...go figure. Literally, for 10 days, I was on my feet working/baking for 12-13 hrs...EACH DAY! Ok, well, on Sunday I sat down for church...haha! I had the priviledge of using a commercial kitchen owned by a family member. He had a lunch buffet every day that was free to me. We're talking meatloaf, fried chicken, chicken fried steak, ribs, mac and cheese, scalloped potates, and some veggies here and there. They are excellent cooks, by the way! Then, during the show, I ate things like foot long corn dogs, sausage on a stick, bbq sandwiches, fried pickles, fried okra, sampled my cookies and brownies (hehe), and the list goes on.

I took the "walk of shame" to the scale this past Monday...I had maintained my weight! So, the very valuable lesson learned is that I can eat whatever, whenever, as long as I'm on my feet working my butt off for 12-13 hours every day. (long pause for thought) Ok, nevermind! I'll eat less...LOL! Can I just say though, that foot long corn dog was FANTASTIC!!!


My booth! It looked like a used Honda sitting next to new BMWs, but this is what I came up with in 6 weeks, so thbtttttt! Just wait until September!

No comments:

Post a Comment