Saturday, January 14, 2012

Honduran Hauntings or Mexican Mishaps???

Where to begin? I spent many high school holidays and summers on mission trips to La Pesca, Mexico. It's in the middle of Mexico on the Gulf coast. Guess what their main industry is...fish (if you don't know spanish). We had many fish gatherings with the locals after long days of home repairs, church repairs, and Bible studies. We had a joke, because my dad would incessantly say "Don't drink the water" then, turn around and say, "Make sure you're drinking enough water." We would bring LOTS of bottled water.

Then, I lived in Honduras after college for 6 months helping out with various projects in various places (preaching school, local medical/dental/nutrition clinic, mountain villages, hospitals for the sick, hospitals for "crazy people", orphanages, etc.). Also, there was my motorcycle wreck in Honduras, where I made a judgement call that may not have been "good judgement" (Drank some water of unknown origin given to me by a local woman just after the wreck). My thought was that if there was going to be a problem, it would be a "24 hour" problem, and I would just deal with it. Who knows where this came from, but the good doctor is 99% sure I have had a dormant parasite for a VERY LONG time, and it's now active.

WHAT??!!??!! I haven't been to Mexico or Honduras in 15 years!!! He said, "It doesn't matter. What matters is that you were there." OY VEY!!! SERIOUSLY???!!! Yes...seriously. I am now taking enzymes to get rid of the little booger. It can take several months. My diet has been changed to protein and cooked vegetables only. Good thing I like protein and cooked vegetables :-) Everything else "could" cause irritation in the infected area, and the good doctor wants to reduce that "possibility," which is fine with me. Also, no sugar, because the little booger likes sugar. Roger that...no sugar. No need to encouarge it...eeewww!

There were other things. I have two areas of pain, the other is the stomach muscle spam the hospital surgeon suspected several weeks ago. Also, I'm low on certain minerals, vitamins, and immune system levels. Taking minerals and vitamins to boost that up to normal. And, the good doctor is also a Chiropractor, so I had some "adjustments" in my neck and back. Talk about holistic! I still have some skepticism with this holistic/alternative/homeopatic treatment, BUT he hasn't done anything to harm me, and he makes the most sense out of anyone so far. I still have other appointments with other doctors to rule out a few more things. Just gotta keep praying and puttin' along.

SERIOUSLY??? A PARASITE???!!! YUCK!!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow!!! Now that is crazy!! But thankfully the Dr was able to finally pin-point what's been going on......

    Keeping you in prayer,
    Love Cre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Joanna! I remember one of those trips! Do you remember being hasseled at the border crossing and being accussed of being Canadian instead of American?

    My hubby picked up one of these bugs in Panama during some training for the Navy. Even to this day, he is pretty particular about what he can eat and what he can't to prevent and "issue."

    Best of luck that this guy gets his eviction notice in all languages you present it in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy,
    I don't remember that, but I did just run across some pics of us on that trip...mwahahaha! Are you coming down for the reunion?

    ReplyDelete