Saturday, May 19, 2012

Gluten Free Pizza Crust: Dominoes and CPK

I am now full steam ahead into learning what I can and can not eat. There is a GF app that tells me what restaurants in the area (according to my GPS coordinates) offer GF menu items. It also offers reviews from people who have braved the GF moniker, daring to take that risk. The risk that we will not experience unmentionable things when we believe the corporate marketing monkeys who labeled "it" GF. We want to trust that what we are being told is the truth. The truth that gluten free REALLY means gluten free. We want to be able to sink our teeth into that bagel, wrap our lips around that perfectly swirled fork of pasta, or in my case, hear the crunch when I bite down on a thin crust pizza. The quest begins. I tried the frozen variety provided by Amy's Kitchen. Not bad, but not exactly what I was looking for. Then, last week, as pizza heard my cry (I should get drama points here), Dominoes came out with a gluten free pizza crust. I have never really been a fan of Dominoes. That cheap food taste has never been attractive to me, but I thought I would give it a whirl. Fortunately, I "whirled" it through my app first. Enter the corporate marketing monkeys! Dominoes makes their GF dough in the same place as the regular dough. It is NOT recommended by the GF gurus (I forget the name of it, but it's the Celiac Disease people) because of the inevitability of cross-contamination. I knew I didn't like Dominoes! Boo on them!
Now, here's a place where the marketing monkeys saw a reflection of themselves in the mirror. OUCH! That was ugly! They had a GF pizza crust, and realized they were also cross-contaminating their product. They REMOVED their GF options, and have partnered with GIG (Gluten Intolerance Group) to review their baking methods, and will reintroduce their GF crust when they get it right! WOW! Kudos to CPK and the marketing monkeys who are not just trying to make a buck, but also trying to make it right. So, there is hope. I have not tried any restaurant pizza, although I know GF out there. I've been recommended to BJ's Brewhouse, Fireside Pies, and Woodfire Grill. I love all those places, and I have no doubt that my unrelenting allergy will sniff out the monkeys. More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment